It’s Sunday and though very humid and hot, it is quite gloomy out. I just felt like lounging on the couch and watching SATC on E! (it was the “post it” episode…god I hate Berger!!!). On the weekends I almost never want to eat the same old easy breakfast that I have during the weekdays, I want EGGS! Not just scrambled eggs, I want eggs with some savory Gouda cheese and crunchy vegetables. So, this morning I came up with this yummy open faced egg sandwich with kale recipe! The kale I had leftover from another dish that I froze, but any fresh or frozen greens (spinach, etc) would do.
HB NOTE: 3 years ago before meeting Meaghan, I did not eat eggs. Not scrambled, not fried, not fritatta, not anything. Thanks Meaghan for introducing me to eggs, for it has changed my life.
Open Faced Egg Sandwich with Kale
- 1 slice Ezekiel bread
- 1 cup kale, fresh or frozen
- 1 egg
- 0.5 Gouda cheese, sliced
- Parmesan, pepper and paprika to taste
- Heat a frying pan to medium-high heat. Coat in a very minimal amount of olive oil.
- Add the egg and sprinkle with pepper and paprika. Fry for about 2-3 minutes, flip and remove from heat (for sunny side up, if you desire a less runny egg keep on the heat).
- Toast the bread and steam the kale (I used a microwavable steamer for 3 minutes).
- Top the bread with the Gouda cheese, steamed kale and fried egg.
- Grate some fresh Parmesan cheese, and you’re good to go!
A healthy serving of whole grains, greens and protein all in one easy dish in less than 10 minutes!