Did you know that July is national grilling month? Celebrate with a healthy and quick salad that you can make in less than 20 minutes!
This summer we have been grilling A LOT. Perhaps part of the reason is because our old grill, an el-cheapo, literally fell apart while we were grilling chicken. Not fun, or healthy. We were picking pieces of the grill off of our chicken, ew!
Shrimp is one of the fastest lean (low calorie) meats to grill, it only takes about 2-3 minutes. Skewering shrimp is also a very easy way to grill shrimp, since turning each individual one can take time and possibly get lost in between the grates (no fun).
Try a new take on grilled shrimp skewers with our Southwestern Grilled Shrimp Salad, which adds awesome flavor and nutrition from the grape tomatoes and red onion. Not to mention the healthy fat to keep you full from the avocado. This recipe is also very low in sodium, as the rub for the shrimp is done using Mrs. Dash no salt seasoning.
Southwestern Grilled Shrimp Salad
- 6 shrimp, raw (fresh or thawed from frozen)
- 1/2 Tablespoon Mrs. Dash Southwest Chipotle seasoning blend
- 2 cups 50/50 spinach salad mix
- 1/4 avocado, sliced
- 5 grape tomatoes, washed and cut in half
- 1/8 cup chopped red onions
- Vinaigrette dressing of your choice
- Heat grill to medium-high heat.
- Skewer the shrimp, and top with Mrs. Dash seasoning. Note: if you are using bamboo skewers, be sure to soak them in water first for 20 minutes before grilling.
- Grill shrimp for 2-3 minutes on each side, and then remove from heat.
- Place the spinach on a large plate, and top with the red onion, tomato and avocado slices.
- Top with the grilled shrimp and add your favorite vinaigrette dressing!
BOOM! Your quick and easy healthy lunch has come to life 🙂
What other kind of meats, vegetables or fruits do you like to grill? Let us know by leaving a comment below!