I love the idea of healthy foods, all mixed together in one awesome and big bowl. Unwrap your fajita and put it in a bowl!! (This is also less messy.)
We love fajita vegetables with all the flavor that they bring..and of course I topped it off with a healthy avocado which brings in a creamy texture and more awesome flavor. This bowl is low carb, as we controlled the portion sizes of the quinoa and black beans. Don’t forget that beans are a carb too! Both quinoa and beans are great, healthy carb options – just watch your portion sizes ladies 😉 I left off the cheese and sour cream that is traditionally put on a fajita, however if you would like to add small portions of low fat sour cream or reduced fat cheese that would be a healthier low-carb addition to the recipe as well.
This recipe is another quick and healthy meal idea for a weeknight dinner. Share with a friend or take the leftovers for lunch tomorrow!!
Chicken Fajita Bowl
Servings: 2 (to share, or bring for lunch tomorrow!)
- 1 6oz chicken breast, cut in half
- Garlic Powder, to taste
- Black Pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 glove garlic, minced
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1/2 yellow onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup low-sodium canned black beans, rinsed
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 1/2 avocado, sliced into 8 slices
- Cilantro (optional)
- Heat the grill to medium-high heat. Sprinkle the garlic powder and black pepper over the chicken breasts. Grill the chicken for about 5-7 minutes on each side, until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees. Once the chicken is cooked, slice.
- Meanwhile, bring 1/2 cup of water to a boil in a small pot. Add in the quinoa and bring to a simmer and cover with a lid. Cook according to the package directions (about 20 minutes) until all of the water is absorbed.
- While the chicken and quinoa are cooking, heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the 1 tablespoon of olive oil and cover the pan. Add the onion and garlic and saute until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes. Add in the pepper slices and saute about 10 minutes, until they are tender.
- Once the peppers/onions, chicken and quinoa are cooked, start assmebling your bowl. For each bowl add: 3oz of the grilled chicken slices, 1/4 cup cooked quinoa, 1/4 cup black beans, 1/2 chopped tomato, 1/2 the peppers, 1/2 the onions and 4 avocado slices.
- Top your chicken fajita bowl with some fresh cilantro and enjoy!