This weekend while at a friends birthday party, someone asked me what they can eat to eliminate all of the drinks and fried foods that happens on the weekend. The simple answer is: nothing.
The smart answer is: you can’t undo what you have done while intoxicated (sound familiar?) BUT you can change what you do today and this week! We totally get it, it happens to everyone even dietitians. Just be sure to hop back on and put the weekend eating and drinking in the past. Get back on track with these antioxidant filled veggies. Drink LOTS of water and get rid of the hangover! It is Tuesday after all….
All of these vegetables are in season and can be found at your local farmers market. If you are on the coast, you can pick up the shrimp locally too! This sautee is a quick 20-minute healthy meal for the weekend or weeknight.
Southern Summer Sautee
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 gloves garlic
- 1/4 red onion, sliced
- 1 cup zucchini/squash, sliced into half moons
- 2 ripened tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 cup okra, chopped
- 1.5 cups corn, fresh or frozen
- 5 basil leaves, sliced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Freshly ground pepper
- 12 shrimp, fresh or thawed from froze
- Pepper/Paprika to taste
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion. Sautee for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the zucchini/squash and sautee for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, chopped okra, corn, basil, pepper and juice of the lemon.
- Sautee for about 6-7 minutes, until squash is soften and okra and tomatoes are fully cooked.
- Remove vegetables from pan.
- Add the shrimp to the pan. Season with pepper and paprika to taste, and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until fully cooked.
- Add 1/2 of the vegetable mix to a bowl, and top with 6 shrimp per dish.
- Serve and enjoy!
Fresh vegetables, water and hair of the dog. You will get through this week we promise!