This type of soup is perfect for a chilly fall evening. When you’re looking for something tasty and comforting without loading on the kcal’s. This is easily made with a variety of veggies, tomato based soup, chicken stock, and brown rice and it cooks in 30 minutes! I topped it with some leftover chicken breast I had, however, in the past I have also poached an egg in it before- also tastes great as is! I used low sodium tomato based soup and chicken stock and I added in some extra fresh veggies right at the end for added texture, fiber, and flavor, YUM! This tastes even better for lunch the next day!
Chunky Tomato & Veggie Rice Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 4 diced garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons herbs de provence
- 1 red pepper finely diced
- 3 cups tomato based soup (pictured below)
- 1 cup low sodium chicken stock
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 2 cups fresh diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsely
- parmesan cheese for serving
- Fresh pepper to taste
1. Heat olive oil in a pot on low-medium heat. Chop your onion, garlic, and red pepper and add into the pot along with your herbs de provence. Cover and sweat the ingredients for 2-3 minutes.
2. Pour in the tomato based soup and chicken stock. Let it simmer for about 5 minutes.
3. Add in the 1/2 cup of brown rice to the pot. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes until brown rice is cooked through.
4. Lastly, add in the fresh tomatoes and parsley, stir together.
5. Serve with fresh ground pepper and parmesan cheese!