This sauce is absolutely delicious and one of those meals requiring minimal effort and pans. Regretfully, I did not take any other pictures than the one below but luckily it gives you a good idea of how it looks! It is basically a super chunky and flavorful tomato sauce. I have also used this as a topping on baked chicken, pork and sautéed shrimp! Enjoy!
Braised Tomato and Japanese Eggplant Sauce
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves diced garlic
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 3 cups diced compari tomatoes (or any tomato of your choice!)
- 2 small Japanese Eggplant cubed, about 2.5 cups (you can also use regular eggplant!)
- 1 cup Tomato based soup
- 2 teaspoons herbes de provence
- red pepper to your liking
- Parmesan cheese to serve
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley for garnish
1. Heat olive oil in a sauté pan or dutch oven of your choice on medium heat. Stir in garlic and onion and sauté for 2-3 minutes, covered.
2. Next, toss in your 3 cups of diced tomatoes and eggplant. Make sure you chop these in bite size pieces for easier cooking! Continue to pour in your tomato based soup, you can always add more to your preference. Add in your herbs de provence and red pepper.
3. Let this simmer on low-medium heat, covered, for approximately 25 minutes.
4. Serve over your favorite pasta with parmesan cheese and fresh parsley! Try it on top of baked pork or chicken or even sautéed shrimp!