If it hasn’t become clear how obsessed I am with Trader Joe’s Tomato soup, i’m not sure how else I can drive it home! It really is incredibly delicious, low calorie, low sodium, and very flavorful. Per usual, i’ve stuffed this soup with plenty of healthy ingredients so you can get the most bang for your bowl of soup. Enjoy!
Hearty Tomato and White Bean Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced white onion
- 4 cloves diced garlic
- 2 cups quartered cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon herbes de provence
- 1 Quart Trader Joes Low Sodium Creamy Tomato Soup (or tomato based soup of your choice)
- 1 cup water or low sodium chicken stock
- 1/4 cup dried Barley (quick cooking or regular)
- 1 can white beans, rinsed and drained
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- Fresh basil and/or parsley for serving
1. Heat a pot on the stove on low-medium heat with olive oil. Sweat the onion and garlic, covered, for 3-5 minutes until onions turns clear.
2. Next, stir in the tomatoes and herbs and cover. Let cook for another 3-5 minutes.
3. Pour in your tomato based soup and 1 cup of water/chicken stock. Let soup come to a light simmer (slow, small bubbles at the top), then add in your barley. Let simmer for about 10 minutes if you are using quick cooking, or 25 minutes if using regular barley.
4. Once your barley is fully cooked, add in the white beans, fresh ground pepper, basil and stir!
5. Serve with sourdough croutons (recipe below), and enjoy!
- 2 slices day-old sourdough bread, cut into small pieces
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- Black pepper
- Garlic Powder
- Toss the sourdough bread pieces, olive oil, black pepper and garlic powder in a mixing bowl until evenly coated.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes on 350 degrees in a traditional or toaster oven.
- Place on top of The Healthy Bachelorette Hearty Tomato and White Bean Soup!