I have been feeling like I have a cold coming on this week, and to make it worse it has also been rainy and cold. When you get sick, do you still crave your mom’s chicken noodle soup? I sure do. Unfortunately, she is about 1,000 miles away – so I had to improvise.
I have made this soup twice already this week and am loving it. The best part? It can be done in steps, and cooks while you chop! No need to do all of the cutting beforehand, you can cut up your ingredients while the previous ingredients cook. This way, the soup is ready when you are. No waiting required.
This soup is truly a one pot meal and has everything you need. The chicken sausage provides lean protein, the corn and potatoes provide carbohydrates and the kale, onion and carrots provide your non-starchy vegetables.
I added some shredded Asiago cheese on top, totally up to you if you want to add that or Parmesan. I will definitely be making this soup again this winter – Enjoy!
Kale and Red Potato Soup with Chicken Sausage
Servings: 2 (or 1 and 1 leftover!)
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 red potato
- 1/4 vidalia onion
- 2 carrots
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1 savory Italian flavored pre-cooked chicken sausage (I used Publix Artichoke Parmesan)
- 2 cups chopped kale (I bought mine pre-chopped)
- To taste: black pepper, garlic powder, dried oregano and dried thyme.
- Add the broth and water into a large pot and bring to a boil.
- While you are waiting for the water to boil, chop the potatoes into 1/4 inch pieces and add to the boiling broth. Reduce heat to medium and let cook while you chop the onion.
- Chop the onion, add into the pot and stir.
- Add your black pepper, garlic powder, dried oregano and dried thyme to taste. Stir well.
- While the onion is cooking, peel and chop the carrots and add into the pot. Stir and cook 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the frozen corn and let cook. Meanwhile, cut the chicken sausages into half moons and add into your soup.
- Lastly, add in the chopped kale and stir well.
- Reduce heat to low and cover. Let cook for 5 minutes and serve!
Option: Top with shredded Asiago or Parmesan cheese.
Did you try this soup recipe? Let us know how you liked it in the comments below!