Santa was good to me this year! I received many kitchen gadgets (and lots of Fiestaware!!), some of which were on the Healthy Bachelorette Gift Guide. One of the gifts that I immediately put to use was the Paderno Spiralizer. I love this spiralizer because it gives the option of 4 blades (rather than 3 on last years model). It also does not leave a “core” in the middle, making for more food and less waste. I plan on using this spiralizer A LOT this year, especially seeing as I will be starting grad school again in a few days. Spiralized veggies have opened my eyes to so many high carb dishes that I considered only a “treat.” Now I can have them all the time! BONUS: It takes a total of 10 minutes to specialize and cook the noodles. I’ll take it.
One of those “treat” dishes that I love (but never make) is pad thai. I made this awesome pad thai with yellow squash noodles and the flavors were amazing. The sauce doesn’t contain peanut butter as tradition pad thai does, however it has just the right amount of spice and the roasted peanuts on top make for perfect flavor. Enjoy and share your comments below!
Shrimp Pad Thai with Summer Squash Noodles
Yield: 2 + leftovers
For the Sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon thai chili paste
- 1.5oz light brown sugar
- 1.5 tablespoons hosin sauce
- Juice of 1 fresh lime
For the Dish
- 2 summer squash
- 2 carrots, peeled
- Sesame Oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 pound large shrimp
- 2oz bean sprouts
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Fresh cilantro leaves, chopped roasted peanuts and lime wedges for serving
- To make the sauce, in a small saucepan, combine all ingredients and simmer on very low heat for 5-10 minutes until thickened.
- Spiralize the yellow squash using the shredder blade.
- Spiralize the carrots using the shredder blade.
- In a large pan over medium heat, add 1/2 tablespoon of sesame oil. Scramble the eggs in a small bowl and add to the heated pan. Cook and scramble until firm and transfer to a large bowl covered with foil.
- Add 1 tablespoon of sesame oil to the pan and add the carrots and saute using tongs and cook for about 3-5 minutes. Add to the bowl with foil.
- Add 1 tablespoon of sesame oil to the pan and add in the summer squash. Saute using tongs and cook for 3-5 minutes. Add to the bowl with foil.
- Add the bean sprouts and sauce to the bowl with the carrots, summer squash and eggs. Toss evenly and cover.
- Add oil to the pan if needed, and add the shrimp. Cook for 2-5 minutes, until fully cooked, pink and opaque. Transfer to the covered bowl.
- Transfer the contents of the bowl to a large platter and top with the green onions, cilantro, roasted nuts and lime wedges. Serve and enjoy!
Looking for more spiralizer recipes? Check out our Pesto Zucchini Noodles with Grilled Chicken and Tomato. What other spiralized recipes are you looking to see this year?