Soup, as you can probably tell by this point, is a definite staple in my diet. Especially since this has been a record breaking winter up in Boston, at about 100 inches of snow so far, I need vats of this stuff on hand. As Jimmy Fallon would say, EW. Soup can be utterly dull and boring which is what I try to avoid at all costs by adding tons of herbs, parmesan cheese, and lemon juice. I also poach the entire chicken breast in the soup which adds a nice chicken-y flavor without all the work of dealing with bones etc. Hope you enjoy!
Parmesan Herb Chicken Noodle Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 7 carrots, diced
- 1 tbsp herbes de provence
- Juice 1/2 lemon
- 1 – 1.5 lbs chicken breast
- fresh ground black pepper
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup whole wheat pasta noodles
- 1 cup fresh chopped parsely
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped dill
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1. Place a pot on medium heat. Add olive oil, garlic, and red onion. Saute for 2-3 minutes, stiring frequently. Add carrots and herbs de provence, stir frequently and allow to cook for another 2-3 minutes.
2. Add the lemon juice, whole chicken breast, pepper, broth, and water. Simmer for about 20 minutes or until chicken breast is cooked through completely.
3. Once chicken is cooked, remove from the pot and place in a large bowl. Using two forks, shred the chicken into bite size pieces. You can also dice the chicken if you prefer. Once finished, place chicken pieces back into the pot.
4. Add pasta noodles and allow to cook for another 10 minutes until they are cooked through.
5. Lastly, add the parsley, dill, and parmesan cheese. Serve with sliced lemon.