Beets are the type of food that when consumed, I can almost feel my body saying, “thanks, I needed that”! Nutrient dense with powerful antioxidants and a unique flavor that is easily enhanced, beets are the ultimate vegetable. I roasted mine with an easy lemon herbal pesto-like mix and finished it off with goat cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, and avocado – delish! Goes well as a side with fish, chicken, meat etc!
Roasted Beets with Fresh Herbs & Goat Cheese
Serves: 2 (with leftovers)
- 1lb yellow or red beets, diced (save the leaves!)
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped beet leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped dill
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons goat cheese
- 1/4 avocado, diced
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Wash beets, cut off the leaves and put to the side for later. Carefully peel the beets using a peeler. Dice into bite size pieces.
3. Place the diced beets on a baking sheet, toss in olive oil and fresh pepper. Bake for 25 minutes or until beets are fork tender.
4. While the beets cook, combine beet leaves, parsley, dill, garlic, green onion, 1 tablespoon olive oil, and lemon juice.
5. When beets are cooked, add into herb mixture and toss lightly. Lastly, add in sun-dried tomatoes, goat cheese, and avocado. Enjoy!