Until recently, I would not have considered myself a “breakfast person.” In fact, I didn’t even like eggs until I met Meaghan in 2011 …. and I was 22. Back in our MUSC days, I used to eat a 1/2 cup of dry breakfast cereal every morning. There is even a picture of our pantry with all of our 12 cereals lined up in our Mt. Pleasant apartment. I would eat my dry cereal in the car, while driving to work (you can imagine what my car looked like).
Then I got a job, moved to Greenville, and started trying to eat a big girl breakfast: oatmeal. I tried the instant oatmeal, then the organic instant oatmeal, and even tried making baked oatmeal. I never quite felt right after eating oatmeal, and was absolutely ravenous after 30 minutes.
In April we completed about 6 weeks with whole foods only: no processed out of the box type stuff, we made everything. During this time, I got hooked on this simple, yet healthy and very satisfying breakfast. Every Sunday night I make a big batch of quinoa with cinnamon apples and walnuts or pecans, and eat off of it throughout the week. This provides everything you need in a healthy breakfast: carbs from the apples and quinoa, protein from the quinoa and nuts and healthy fat from the nuts. This recipe has 5.2g of protein – almost as much as an egg!
Cinnamon Apple Quinoa with Nuts
Servings: 6 (3/4 cup each)
- 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- 2 small apples, chopped (I use organic pink lady)
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts of your choice(I typically use pecans or walnuts)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Cinnamon to taste
- Place the quinoa, water and milk in a small sauce pan. Bring to a boil, and reduce to simmer, stirring frequently to ensure the quinoa and milk do not brown to the bottom ~ 15 minutes.
- While the quinoa is cooking, melt the butter in a medium sized frying pan over medium-low heat. Add the chopped apples and season with cinnamon to taste. Stir frequently and cook for ~5 minutes.
- In a large serving dish with a lid, combine the quinoa, cinnamon apples and nuts and place in the refrigerator. (It will last up to 7 days.)
- Reheat 3/4 cup of the quinoa breakfast mix in the morning by placing in the microwave for 30 seconds – and you’re good to go!
Nutrition facts: 214 calories, 11.9g total fat, 3.2g saturated fat, 23g total carbs, 5.2g protein, 45mg sodium
What’s your go-to work day breakfast?