If any of you are also experiencing this heat in not only a tiny apartment, but also with a poorly performing air conditioner unit, you’ll understand my desire to eliminate all other sources of heat! I’ve been avoiding my oven and using the stove only when I have to. Grain based salads are great because not only are they easy to make, but they have a substantial amount of protein in them and make it an easy way to get in lots of veggies during the day. If you don’t like Farro (or have the patience for it to cook – I barely do), try quinoa, brown rice, or barley too.
Avocado Farro Salad
Serves 2 with leftovers
- 1 cup Farro, dry
- 1 15oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup feta cheese
- 3 tablespoons tarragon, chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup green onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (flavored olive oil is even better!)
- Avocado for serving
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook the faro according to package directions. It usually runs 1 cup faro: 1.5 cups water. Plan ahead because this will take about an hour to cook.
2. While the faro cooks, prepare the remaining ingredients. Add the beans, feta, tarragon, peppers, parsley, and olive oil to a bowl. Mix well and season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Once the faro is cooked, add to the bowl with all of the ingredients. Mix well and serve.
* This is also great served cold the next day for lunch with salad or chicken etc.