It’s fully fall here in New England… how do I know this? I leave my house at 7am in a wool coat and come home at 5pm sweating and holding my wool coat. New England temperature fluctuations never cease to amaze me, just be incredibly inconvenient. But it’s all good, ya know? Especially when I have delicious food to make at home. So, I haven’t been apple picking yet, which means I let some nice person from Whole Foods pick them for me (wink wink). Please enjoy this quinoa salad however you wish! I served mine with oven baked spicy panko encrusted chicken, however, this would be awesome with fish or even just beans. Luckily, kale is such a hearty beast that this salad will still taste good for lunch the next day. Our homemade dressing is as simple as it gets with just four ingredients – don’t worry all of the names are easy to pronounce!
Apple Quinoa Kale Salad with Honey Lemon Vinaigrette
Serves: 2 with leftovers
- 5 of your leafiest Kale leaves
- 1 large apple, chopped (use your favorite kind or whatever is seasonally available to you!)
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 avocado, diced
- Pepper to taste
For the dressing:
- juice of half a lemon
- Juice of half a lime
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Prepare the quinoa according to package directions.
- While the quinoa cooks, tear the leaves off in small pieces from the kale stems, wash thoroughly, drain, and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the chopped apples, feta cheese, sliced green onions, and avocado.
- Add the cooked quinoa to the bowl once cooked and toss well. The heat from the quinoa will help soften the kale leaves.
- For the dressing: squeeze the lemon and lime juice into a medium bowl and add the honey. Whisk well until combined. While briskly whisking, slowly drizzle in the olive oil until fully combined.
- Pour dressing over salad and serve!