Who knew muffins could include such random but delicious ingredients? Why not put something better in there besides some super solid mystery fat and other big words we probably can’t pronounce? Bananas, cranberries, oatmeal, and carrots make a surprisingly fantastic muffin. So I cheated and bought the bag of shredded carrots and this suited my needs just fine. If you are looking for more of a carrot cake consistency (hidden carrots) then you’ll need to shred them with the box grater yourself. These taste just delightful toasted and with a little butter or jam on it. Perfect for breakfast or snack! NOM.
Breakfast Cranberry Carrot Muffins
Makes: 12 Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup 1% milk (or milk of choice)
- 2 cups shredded carrots (chop a little extra with a knife if using bagged carrots)
- 2 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- Preheat the oven to 400 and spray or line a 12 tin muffin pan.
- n a large bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Sift well or mix with a fork until combined.
- Next add the oats, cranberries, olive oil, egg, milk, carrots, and mashed banana. Stir well until all ingredients are blended.
- Divide the batter evenly in the muffin tin and bake for 15-18 minutes until cooked through.