On the weekend you never want to eat the same old breakfast that you have during the week. So what about making a poached egg?! I used to be super intimidated about poaching eggs, until a friend in the hospitality business told me how she does it. Super easy and comes out perfect every time! The avocado brings a great creaminess to this breakfast, not to mention the healthy fats will keep you full even with just one egg.
Try this recipe for a quick (takes 10 minutes) and healthy Saturday or Sunday breakfast! This was a perfect start to my lazy rainy Saturday, and fortunately both The Notebook and Sleepless in Seattle were on TVyesterday. Obviously, I just did house chores, watched amazing chick flicks and cooked all day. It was awesome.
(Note: The recipe below is for two, but can easily be made for one. Just use 1 piece of toast, 1/4 of an avocado, 1 egg and 0.5oz of cheese. Use the same amount of vinegar and salt thought to poach the egg!)
Avocado Toast with a Poached Egg
- 2 pieces thick sliced fresh bread of your choice
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 oz pepper jack cheese
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pepper, to taste
- Paprika, to taste
- Lightly toast the bread.
- Once the bread is toasted, top each with 1/4 of the avocado and spread with a butter knife. Add 0.5oz of the cheese to each piece of toast.
- To poach the eggs: Bring water to a boil in a small pot. Add in the vinegar and salt, and bring to a low boil. Crack 1 egg into a measuring cup. Slowly add the egg into the low boiling water and let it drop to the bottom. Repeat for the second egg. Turn off heat and cover for 5 minutes. Remove egg from the water with a slotted spoon.
- Place the egg on top of the avocado toast and top with pepper and paprika to taste.
Enjoy and happy weekend HB’s!!!