Since you really can’t tell it’s September yet, why not hang on to the last of the fresh summer produce?! Strawberries have been so delicious this year and I’m always looking for alternative ways to eat therm, other then shoveling them into my mouth. I definitely have a sweet tooth; however, it’s nice when you know your dessert contains healthy ingredients like oatmeal, cinnamon, and fresh fruit. OH, and bit of Kate’s butter makes it even better (everything in moderation, people!). Enjoy this dessert and don’t you dare feel bad about it, TREAT YOSELF!
- 2 cups chopped strawberries (You can also try peaches, blueberries, rasperries, blackberries, pears, or apples!)
- 1/4 cup oatmeal
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- dash of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Wash and roughly chop the strawberries. Equally divide between two small oven proof dishes as pictured.
- In a small bowl, combine the oatmeal, flour, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, and butter. Mix well.
- Equally top both dishes with the mixture and bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
Muffins really are a glorious form of food. They can be savory or sweet, crunchy or soft, and the can be filled or topped with just about anything. Even better is that you can make them with some healthier ingredients to be sure they don’t contribute to any other muffin tops… YIKES! Take note you can use just about any other form of fruit you would like in place of peaches. In addition, you can substitute 1 cup of white flour for 3/4 whole wheat flour below. Adding in some whole wheat flour will add some fiber and protein to the muffins however they will also make the muffin slightlys more dense. Using yogurt in this recipe makes it a lower fat version without compromising the light and fluffy texture! This is a simple recipe that just involves a whisk, 2 bowls, a muffin tin, and my most favorite thing ever – streusel topping! Enjoy!
Peachy Yogurt Muffins with Cinnamon Streusel Topping
Makes 12 muffins
For the Muffins
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup fat free plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 1/2 cups diced peaches
- When making the whole wheat version: use 3/4 cup whole wheat flour + 1 cup white flour, and add 1/4 extra cup of yogurt to your recipe!
For the Topping
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons butter melted
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. Gather your dry ingredients and a mixing bowl. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
3. Gather your wet ingredients and a small mixing bowl. Combine your eggs, yogurt, milk, melted butter, and peaches.
4. Add your wet ingredients to the dry. Lightly mixing until just combined, do not over mix. Scoop batter into your muffin pans.
5. For the topping: combine all ingredients and evenly spread on top of the muffins.
6. Bake for 25 minutes or until a tooth pick comes out clean.