I’ve always been a fan of breakfast for any meal, especially when it involved fresh organic eggs and delicious French cheeses. Frittatas can be easily influenced by any spice blend and go well with basically any type of vegetable. Eggs have densely packed protein and vital nutrients… more than a great choice for any meal!
Tomato & Camembert Frittata
Serves: 2 (with leftovers)
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped dill
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
- Fresh pepper & pinch of salt
- 4 oz soft cheese (Camembert, Brie, goat cheese etc)
1. Turn on oven broiler.
2. Crack six eggs in a large mixing bowl. Add in parsley, dill, tomatoes, scallions, pepper & salt. Whisk briskly until eggs are broken up and ingredients are combined.
3. Lightly butter an oven-proof skillet and pour egg mixture into the pan. Top with sliced soft cheese.
4. Place in oven and bake for approximately 7-9 minutes. Every oven is different so be sure to monitor that it is not burning. The top should be lightly toasted and the inside soft like scrambled eggs. Serve with sides of your choice!
* You may also cook this on your stove top on low medium-heat, covered, for the the same amount of time! 🙂
It’s Sunday and though very humid and hot, it is quite gloomy out. I just felt like lounging on the couch and watching SATC on E! (it was the “post it” episode…god I hate Berger!!!). On the weekends I almost never want to eat the same old easy breakfast that I have during the weekdays, I want EGGS! Not just scrambled eggs, I want eggs with some savory Gouda cheese and crunchy vegetables. So, this morning I came up with this yummy open faced egg sandwich with kale recipe! The kale I had leftover from another dish that I froze, but any fresh or frozen greens (spinach, etc) would do.
HB NOTE: 3 years ago before meeting Meaghan, I did not eat eggs. Not scrambled, not fried, not fritatta, not anything. Thanks Meaghan for introducing me to eggs, for it has changed my life.
Open Faced Fried Egg Sandwich with Kale
Open Faced Egg Sandwich with Kale
- 1 slice Ezekiel bread
- 1 cup kale, fresh or frozen
- 1 egg
- 0.5 Gouda cheese, sliced
- Parmesan, pepper and paprika to taste
- Heat a frying pan to medium-high heat. Coat in a very minimal amount of olive oil.
- Add the egg and sprinkle with pepper and paprika. Fry for about 2-3 minutes, flip and remove from heat (for sunny side up, if you desire a less runny egg keep on the heat).
- Toast the bread and steam the kale (I used a microwavable steamer for 3 minutes).
- Top the bread with the Gouda cheese, steamed kale and fried egg.
- Grate some fresh Parmesan cheese, and you’re good to go!
A healthy serving of whole grains, greens and protein all in one easy dish in less than 10 minutes!