Happy National Pomegranate month! It is that time of year when you can start to find pomegranates in the grocery store, and why not take advantage?
Fun fact about me: I have never actually cut open and de-seeded a pomegranate before. It was actually surprisingly easy. I used a tutorial from Simply Recipes. Basically, you cut off the bottom and the “flower” on the top, before cutting 7 shallow cuts around the pomegranate. I peeled apart the pieces of pomegranate and let the seeds fall into a bowl of water. Many tell me separating the membrane from the seed can be a pain, but with this method the membrane just floated to the top! Highly recommended.
I am excited to bring some festive pomegranate recipes to you this month. My first is an antioxidant rich pomegranate and quinoa dish. It works perfect as a side to grilled chicken or fish, or put it on top of a bed of lettuce! Quinoa is the only grain that has protein in it, so you are sure to feel full with a smaller amount. Bonus: it takes 20 minutes to make. Hello new go to quick and healthy meal!
Pomegranate and Quinoa Salad with Feta
Servings: 2 + 1 leftover serving
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 3 stalks celery, small dice
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- Pepper to taste
- Cook the 1 cup of quinoa according to the package directions.
- While the quinoa is cooking, dice the celery, and chop the scallions.
- Once the quinoa is cooked and still warm, add the olive oil, feta cheese and pepper and mix until cheese is evenly distributed.
- In a large bowl, combine the quinoa mix, pomegranate seeds, celery and scallions.
- Mix well and serve along side your favorite lean meat or on top of a bed of lettuce for a complete meal!
What other kind of pomegranate recipes would you like to see here? Leave your comments below!