If any of you are also experiencing this heat in not only a tiny apartment, but also with a poorly performing air conditioner unit, you’ll understand my desire to eliminate all other sources of heat! I’ve been avoiding my oven and using the stove only when I have to. Grain based salads are great because not only are they easy to make, but they have a substantial amount of protein in them and make it an easy way to get in lots of veggies during the day. If you don’t like Farro (or have the patience for it to cook – I barely do), try quinoa, brown rice, or barley too.
Avocado Farro Salad
Serves 2 with leftovers
- 1 cup Farro, dry
- 1 15oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup feta cheese
- 3 tablespoons tarragon, chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup green onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (flavored olive oil is even better!)
- Avocado for serving
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook the faro according to package directions. It usually runs 1 cup faro: 1.5 cups water. Plan ahead because this will take about an hour to cook.
2. While the faro cooks, prepare the remaining ingredients. Add the beans, feta, tarragon, peppers, parsley, and olive oil to a bowl. Mix well and season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Once the faro is cooked, add to the bowl with all of the ingredients. Mix well and serve.
* This is also great served cold the next day for lunch with salad or chicken etc.
Another day, another chicken. I will admit, it can get pretty old by the end of the week. Like the rest of the world, I too am always looking for new ways to spruce it up. I served this with some leftover brown rice and salad, but it would go nicely with a variety of veggies and grains!
Greek Style Chicken with Feta & Fresh Herbs
Yields: 2-4 servings
- 1-2 lbs Chicken Breasts
- 4 tbs plain greek yogurt
- 2 tbs low fat mayonnaise
- 3-4 sprigs fresh rosemary, chopped
- 3-4 sprigs fresh oregano, chopped
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- Crumbled Feta Cheese, to your liking
- Juice and zest of 1/2 lemon, optional
- Olive oil, to drizzle
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Gather your ingredients, a casserole dish, small mixing bowl, cutting board, and knife.
3. Rinse chicken breasts, pat dry, and place in your casserole. Mix the greek yogurt and mayonnaise together in a small bowl, spread evenly over the top of each chicken breast.
4. Chop up your rosemary and oregano, feel free to add more if you like! Spread evenly over the chicken breasts. Continue to slice your red onion and garlic nice and thin, place on top of the herbs.
5. Go ahead and knock your socks off by topping it all off with some crumbled Feta! You can do this to your liking or use my photo below as a guide. Squeeze half your lemon over all this good stuff and if you have a zester, zest away! Do a light drizzle of olive oil on top of each chicken breast and season with some black and/or red pepper if you like.
6. Bake for about 30 minutes or until the juices run clear and the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
Serve with a veggie and whole grain, enjoy the rest for lunch tomorrow! 😀