Today is my last “first day of school”…and I mean it this time! I have been enrolled in the Master’s in Health Communications program at Boston University since January 2013. After lots and lots of hours learning, studying and completing projects I am in my final class and will graduate in late December. If you have been around me while I’ve balanced work, life and school the past 4 years – I know you are sighing with relief as well (I know my fiance is!).
Today is also the first day of National Pomegranate month! I thought I would celebrate with this tasty non-boring salad that can be used as a main meal or a pre-dinner salad. The pomegranate seeds combined with the pear and goat cheese are the perfect combination of savory and not too sweet. I have been loving Trader Joe’s frozen “Just Chicken” for an easy lean protein addition to my salads at lunch, but since I didn’t make it out to Woodruff Road this weekend, I opted for the Applegate Grilled Chicken Breast Strips which can also be found in the frozen section. They are wonderful and highly recommended for a girl on the go!
Not familiar with how to cut a pomegranate? Check out this easy tutorial from Simply Recipes.
Pomegranate and Bosc Pear Salad with Goat Cheese
Yield: 1 Salad
- 2-3 cups 50/50 salad mix
- 1/2 bosc pear, cut into small cubes
- 1/4 cup pomegranate pearls
- 1oz goat cheese
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinaigrette dressing
Starting with a large salad bowl, add the salad mix followed by the pear pieces, pomegranate pearls and goat cheese. Drizzle with your favorite balsamic vinaigrette and serve! Option to add 3oz of grilled chicken for an easy and healthy main meal.
Healthy Bachelorette Meal: Pomegranate and Bosc Pear Salad with Goat Cheese, Chicken and Balsamic Vinaigrette
This recipe came out of nowhere when looking in the fridge and realizing I did not have much to work with! Its extremely easy, healthy, filling, and great served warm or cold. I had it with seared fish for dinner and then over salad for lunch the following day! Hope you enjoy – not for nothing but this Trader Joe’s Feta Dressing is amazing.
Veggie and Black Bean Rice Salad with Feta Dressing
Serves 6, 1/2 cup serving
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup diced red pepper
- 2 cups swiss chard chiffonade (cut the stems off!)
- 1 cup black beans
- 1/2 cup greek style feta dressing
- Black Pepper to taste
1. Mix all ingredients together and serve warm or cold!
Nutrition Facts per serving: 158 calories, 17 g Carbohydrate, 6 g protein, 8g fat, 5g fiber
So we have all heard it again and again: use the portion plate to plan your meals. But what does that LOOK like?
Here is an idea for a simple, yet healthy and yummy lunch for the work week. Here’s how it works out:
- 1/2 your plate vegetables = 1 medium bell pepper, sliced
- 1/4 of your plate carbs = 1 slice whole wheat bread
- 1/4 of your plate lean meat = 2oz sliced turkey
BONUS: The avocado gives this sandwich some healthy fats and also will help keep you full. This lunch only has 255 calories! Be sure to surround it with a healthy morning and afternoon snack (think 1/4 cup nuts or a KIND bar).
Healthy Bachelorette Work Day Lunch:
Turkey Avocado and Tomato Sandwich with “Bells”
- 1 slice whole wheat bread (I used Dave’s 21 whole grain)
- 2oz sliced deli turkey
- 1 tomato slice
- 1 tablespoon guacamole OR 2 slices avocado
- Spinach leaves (I used about 1oz)
- 1 medium bell pepper
- Assemble the sandwich by toasting the bread, and then cutting the slice in half. On the bottom half stack the turkey, tomato and spinach and avoacdo (if you are using) and top with other half of bread. If you a re using guacamole spread 1 tablespoon on the top piece of bread.
- Slice the bell pepper.
- Chow down!
What does your Healthy Bachelorette lunch look like? Share comments and photos below!