First of all, you are right, that is not whole wheat pizza dough. I did not have good luck at the grocery store today so just do me a favor and pretend it is – please! Whole wheat pizza dough is significantly better for you as you (hopefully) should know by now. My white pizza dough was lacking the healthy whole grain trifecta of bran, endosperm, and germ that give you that everlasting full feeling due to the extra protein and fiber. Regardless of the dough, this pizza is bomb. Three different cheeses, apples, onions, and arugula — yea, pretty much amazing. Look at my photos for extra tips!
3 Cheese Apple & Arugula Pizza
- Olive oil
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- Whole Wheat Pizza Dough (let it come to room temperature)
- 1/2 cup part skim ricotta cheese
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 apple, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup gorgonzola or blue cheese
- thinly sliced red onion, as much as you prefer
- 1/2 cup cooked sliced chicken (optional, mine was leftover)
- pepper to taste
- 2 cups arugula
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Pour 1 tablespoon of olive or canola oil on your nonstick pizza pan and rub in with a paper towel. (You can also use cooking spray)
- Put the flour on the pizza pan and then place the dough on top of it. Stretch the dough out using your the palm of your hand. Be patient and work slowly so that the dough doesn’t tear. You may find that you need extra olive oil when working on the wheat dough. If you end up using white dough, you will need more flour.
- Once the dough is covering the pizza pan, gently spread the ricotta cheese on it.
- Sprinkle the oregano on top of the ricotta and spread the thinly sliced apples all over.
- Next, sprinkle the mozzarella and gorgonzola on the pizza.
- Spread the thinly sliced red onion on the pizza. Add as much or as little as you like. Make sure to slice them paper thin, the crispy, caramelized taste makes it very tasty.
- Season with pepper and dab olive oil around the outside edges of the crust using two fingers. This helps give it that toasted crusty look. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, make sure to check it around 10 minutes as everyones oven is different.
- Top with fresh arugula and a drizzle of olive oil, enjoy!