There is nothing like a fresh, homemade salad dressing! As a person who did not grow up with it, I can truly appreciate homemade dressing and all its wonderful uses. I can also appreciate something that so delightfully masks the bitter and mostly unenjoyable flavor of kale! Lets be serious, it does’t taste too good if you only wash it, chop, and throw it into your bowl with a typical bottled salad dressing- not the way to go folks! Don’t get me wrong, I love to eat kale, but there are many things we can do to spice up that flavor. I hope everyone is feeling more relieved that the Dietitian agrees that kale tastes horrible and simply needs a little TLC, nbd. Please enjoy your next kale salad as follows!
Ginger Sesame Almond Kale Salad
Serves: 2 (with leftovers)
Makes approximately 1 cup of dressing, Can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- 3 cups washed and chopped kale
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tbsp + 1/2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 4 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp agave or honey
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 small garlic clove, chopped
- 3 heaping tsp minced fresh ginger
- 4 tsp sesame seeds
- 3 tbsp slivered almonds
- 3 tbsp dried cranberries
1. Place chopped kale in a large bowl and keep to the side.
2. Place the next 8 ingredients in a blender, blend on high for 10-15 seconds until dressing is completely combined. Please note you can also make this in a bowl with a whisk!
3. Once dressing is complete, mix in the sesame seeds.
4. Dress the kale salad to your liking and mix in the cranberries and slivered almonds. This salad tastes best if you let it sit for 10-15 minutes prior to serving!