Tis’ the season for pumpkin spice everything people!! I am truly ecstatic about it being socially acceptable to post pumpkin spice recipes on the regular… although I have been known to indulge mid July on occasion. Besides all that, this bread is made with half whole wheat flour and half all purpose flour to add a little fiber and protein into your fabulous diet! The simplest small adjustments can really do wonders for a baked bread. This one is chock full of healthy ingredients making it a very acceptable addition to your breakfast or mid afternoon snack perhaps! Enjoy!
Whole Wheat Pumpkin Spice Bread with Cinnamon Streusel Topping
- 1 15oz can unsweetened whole pumpkin
- 3/4 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cold butter, cut into small pieces
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a medium size bowl, combine the pumpkin, yogurt, honey, sugar, vanilla, egg, pumpkin spice, and cinnamon. Mix thoroughly by hand with a wooden spoon. Set bowl to the side.
3. In another medium bowl, combine the all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Fold slowly into bowl with the wet ingredients, combine thoroughly but do not over mix. Pour into a greased bread loaf pan.
4. To prepare the streusel, mix all ingredients together in a small bowl and sprinkle evenly over dough. Bake in the oven for 1 hour until a fork comes out clean from the center.